Preventing or Living with Diabetes
There are five important facts that everyone should know about diabetes:
1) It is increasingly common:
Diabetes affects 28.5 million people – 8.3% of the U.S. population.
Of these, 7 million people have diabetes but do not yet know it.
As Americans gain weight and live a more sedentary lifestyle, diabetes rates are increasing. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control projects that about 1 in 3 Americans may have diabetes by the year 2050 if current trends continue.
2) It is preventable:
Approximately 79 million American adults have pre-diabetes, or an increased risk of developing diabetes in the near future.
Adults with pre-diabetes can take steps to prevent diabetes.
3) It is costly:
People with diagnosed diabetes, on average, have medical expenditures that are more than double those of people without diabetes.
Approximately $1 in every $10 health care dollars spent is due to diabetes.
4) It is serious:
Poorly controlled diabetes is a major cause of heart disease and stroke, kidney failure, blindness, lower limb loss and many other serious complications.
5) It is controllable:
- You are the most important person in your diabetes care and treatment.
- You can take steps to control diabetes, instead of letting it control you!
- By taking charge, you can enjoy a full, healthy life.
- Silverton Health offers Diabetes Living: a high-quality, accredited diabetes education program designed to help you prevent or control diabetes.
Silverton Health’s DiabetesLiving! program is accredited by the American Association of Diabetes Educators and meets national standards for quality. Together with your healthcare provider, our team of Registered Dietitians and Certified Diabetes Educators will empower you to control or prevent diabetes and live a healthy life.
- Every program participant receives a comprehensive one-on-one assessment and initial teaching by one of our Registered Dietitian educators. Follow-up individual sessions are also offered.
- Monthly group classes offer interactive learning and skills development.
- Individual goal setting is tailored to your needs and life.
- The program covers all four key aspects of health management:
- An individualized meal plan.
- Learn to assess food labels and choose products in a grocery store tour.
- Tips for quick and healthy meal prep and for making best choices when eating out.
- Answers to specific nutrition questions and concerns.
- Learn the role and benefits of exercise in diabetes prevention and management.
- Identify appropriate exercise options tailored to your abilities and needs.
- Stress Management
- Stress affects blood glucose control.
- Learn tools to cope with the unavoidable stressors that everyone encounters in life.
- Ongoing Support
- As part of our focus on support, you are invited to bring one support person to your sessions and/or classes free of charge.
- Follow-up sessions are scheduled as needed.
- Ongoing communication of progress with your healthcare provider and other team members.
We provide individual sessions and group classes in both Silverton and Woodburn.
For more information about Silverton Health’s DiabetesLiving! Program, please call 971-983-5212.