Dr. Dean Ornish Program for Reversing Heart Disease / Intensive Cardiac Rehabilitation
The Dr. Dean Ornish Program for Reversing Heart Disease / Intensive Cardiac Rehabilitation – formerly WellspringHeart (prior to Medicare coverage) – is a revolutionary program that enlists lifestyle changes — Nutrition, Exercise, Stress Reduction and Group Support — to reverse heart disease. The program is based on published research studies by author Dean Ornish, MD to define risk, prevent and reverse the nation's foremost health concern.
Our team of dietitians, nurse case managers, exercise professionals, counselors, and stress management specialists lead participants through a transformative process, laying the foundation and providing the tools for a life full of vitality, and less dependence on medications and surgical intervention. Participants in this program attend nine weeks of exercise and education sessions as a cohort. The cohort meets on Monday and Wednesday afternoons for four hours.
The program includes:
- Personal Interview with Nurse Case Manager
- Nurse Care Guidance for 12 weeks with follow-up calls at 6 months and 1 year
- Personalized Exercise Prescription
- Nutrition Counseling
- Hands-on Cooking Classes
- Stress Management Classes
- Group support
- Access to national website with information and ongoing support for program graduates
All participants have a six minute walk test, as well as evaluation of strength, balance and flexibility. The results are used to develop an appropriate baseline exercise prescription. Additional outcome measures are performed, including lipid panels, CBC, c-reactive protein, glycated hemoglobin, body mass index, blood pressure and stress/depression scores.
If you are unsure whether or not you have cardiovascular disease, CT scanning is available for an additional fee.
Silverton Hospital's 64-slice CT Scanner gives our physicians a state of the art diagnostic tool. This technology provides greater detail and three-dimensional images for both diagnosis and motivation to reverse heart disease.
- Crystal clear images of the heart to better identify soft plaque — the earliest indication of Coronary Artery Disease (CAD)
- Captures minute, potentially life threatening abnormalities on the inside of artery walls while there is time for preventative measures
- Quicker, more comfortable and less invasive than other diagnostic techniques
- Non-invasive, pain-free
Call 971.983.5212 for details or email email@example.com.
Every day, the participants and graduates of the Dr. Dean Ornish Program for Reversing Heart Disease are proving they can take control of their own health, ensure future vitality and reverse the effects of heart disease on themselves and their family. Graduates report equally impressive results in their daily lives, their relationships and their outlook.
- Less depression and hostility
- Longer life expectancy
- Improved exercise tolerance
- Fewer coronary events
- Less angina
- Long term compliance (over 5 years) and continued improvement of riskfactors
Reported Outcomes After 1 Year
- Average weight loss of 22 lbs
- Average LDL cholesterol levels below 100
- 50% decrease in stress
- 30% increase in exercise capacity
- Decreased use of medications for blood pressure and Diabetes
- Improved sleep
- Greater control of Diabetes
The tools and values learned in the Dr. Dean Ornish Program for Reversing Heart Disease last far beyond the intensive training phase. Participants seeing the change in their bodies and minds readily commit to a life of heart healthy behaviors.
More research results can be found here: http://www.ornishspectrum.com/proven-program/the-research/
Medicare and many other health plans cover this program if you have had a qualifying event such as:
- Coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery
- Balloon angioplasty, PTCA or stent placement
- Stable angina
- Heart attack (MI) within the past year
- Valve repair or replacement
- Heart transplant
Call 971.983.5212 for assistance verifying your eligibility and insurance benefits. Self-pay options can also be discussed.