Legacy Silverton Medical Center is now a part of Legacy Health’s TeleBaby telemedicine program provided by Randall Children’s Hospital at Legacy Emanuel in Portland. Already a leader in total number of births for small Oregon hospitals, the Family Birth Center at Legacy Silverton Medical Center continues their track record of excellence by embracing new, yet proven, technology to help their patients.
TeleBaby is a Skype-like high definition telemedicine robot that allows Silverton staff to immediately communicate with expert neonatal nurses and physicians for infant resuscitation and collaboration. The robot is a state-of-the-art remote presence device with a video camera that tilts and zooms, microphone, private handset, and liquid crystal display (LCD) screen. Two-way video conferencing allows both sites to collaborate on the newborn’s care and greatly increases response times, ultimately improving successful outcomes.
Benefits of TeleBaby
- 24/7 immediate access to neonatal experts
- Staff can immediately request transportation for critical cases, in advance of delivery, saving valuable time
- Allows both sets of practitioners to determine the diagnosis and condition of a newborn in real time
- Immediately allows nurses to begin to alleviate the baby’s health concern(s) through collaborative care
- Allows attending physicians to arrive in a safe, timely, manner
- Broadens the collective expertise by expanding the treatment team
- Improves clinical outcomes and Patient Satisfaction
- Families can access additional services through Randall Children’s Hospital and the Ronald McDonald House
- Excellence through Legacy neonatal resuscitation continuing education
- Transport can be to any hospital the family chooses